« Home | I face pressure. You face pressure. Why did you pr... » | Golf day :) » | W and C feedback » | BSchool Application Feedback » | PMP » | Alchemist! » | Cape May, NJ » | Hello World! » 

Monday, June 26, 2006 

Consultants or not?

I am having a hard time deciding on this. On one hand, I have had my feedback session (last one is tomorrow) and I know what to work on. During the feedback, I was hailed for my essays by more than one school. They said my goals were clear and I had given convincing arguments. So, clearly I don't need consultants to help on my essays, which are the single-most reason applicants go to consultants for. Isn't it?

On the other hand, I am afraid of getting dinged again. I worked very hard on my applcations last season and it was very very painful to get one ding after another and see all my hard work waste away. I certainly don't want to leave anything to chance this time. I have talked to a few consultants, and one of the reputed consultants sympathised with me after seeing my application. He said he was stumped and couldnt find any weakness in my application and that I was just unlucky. That scared me even more. Unlucky one time could very well be unlucky again.

What do you guys think?

It was mostly extracurriculars that brought me down. I have been taking some steps to improve on this aspect. So, I hope, it wont bring me down this time. Moreover, I need to strategize my application in terms of the whole application pool. I guess this means that I need to work to bring my uniqueness.

I am going through the same thought process now. Even if one were to decide to go for a consultant, it's difficult to decide who to go with.

You are right, its hard to choose consultants. If you decide to go with them, you will be relying a lot on their advise. So you have to make sure that you choose the right people to work with you.

I never even considered a consultant until I started reading all these blogs. Is it worth the cost on top of application fees, GMAT fee, GMAT study guides, GMAT review course, airfare to visit schools, hotels to stay at while there, Airfare to interview at school. It all adds up so fast.

I wonder what the stats are for people using consultants vs. those without?

Good luck on your decision! Let us know what you decide and why. Maybe it'll help us shed some light on the issue?

if money aint any problem, i would say go for it.

Man, I feel that I might need to consider looking for one too. This is getting pretty expensive. :) Let us know what you decide.

Cheers!

I am just curious about, what about your extra curriculars brought you down?

Hello there.. Well, I guess I don't have much advise to give ya on this matter... as I am pretty new to this whole mba game. Just gave my GMAT a aweek ago, and while got a good score of 730, am totally perplexed about how to go about the whole application thing. And for that.. I am here to seek some help. :-)
I have a strong feeling of me being week in extra-curricular area, so would like to know as how have u been, or what are the possibilities of improving it, and in how much time span?... rady for dec application?.. should I wait for next year?
would really appreciate some feedback!
-Sarabjit
sarabjit.khanuja@gmail.com

Its a personal choice. I used consultants applied to 6 of the top 10 schools got interviewed and dinged by 2 ... and DWI by 4.

I got feedback ...which focused on personal side of me ... i didnt talk about who I was. I had non-profit work but not much about what i like to do ...who i am ..etc etc.

My goals also were lofty and nothing to do with my past experience.

Now here is the kicker. I used consultants for 4-6 schools neither of them gave me targeted advice saying your goals are weak or ur personality was missing...In the end ..its up to and a matter of luck. A consultant (while helpful) will not create content for you. WIll just give advice... thats that !

My GMAT Score was 710(80+ on both) ..none of the feedback sessions really said i need to take in again. Actually, I asked them that pointedly and they said no... (well they said it is up to you )

Post a Comment

About me

  • JatWarrior
  • "A goal I must attain, a dream that I must follow, because I wont be back again. There is a mark that I must leave, however small it seems to be, a legacy of love for those, who follow after me." - Anonymous
View my profile   Email me

Previous posts

journey of a jat, the warrior is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.