« Home | Museums and Superman » | 720 and asked to retake!!! » | Consultants or not? » | I face pressure. You face pressure. Why did you pr... » | Golf day :) » | W and C feedback » | BSchool Application Feedback » | PMP » | Alchemist! » | Cape May, NJ » 

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 

Freakonomics

This was one book I had been wanting to read for a while. My gf happened to notice the book on the walk-in shelf of the local library. Walk-in stuff is only issued for 7 days and can not be renewed. Also, late fee is hefty $1 a day. To my surprise, book turned out to be only 206 pages and I ended up finishing it in next 28 hours :)

Book has no theme and stresses on looking at things in a different way. Conventional wisdom is not always right. Levitt has drawn on some interesting examples and studies to make his unconventional explanations and points. My favorite was his crime-drop explanation. But, I would say that after reading all those fantastic reviews, I had come to expect more out of it. May be because I was an unconventional thinker already :) Moreover, the book seem to be more US focused than international. It has one too many examples based on Blacks' social position/history in US. International readers not very familiar with Blacks' American history may find it difficult to understand author's points. Overall, book makes an interesting read, and I would recommend you to check it out if you have not already done so.

My favorite quote from the book: If morality is how the world should work, economics is how the world actually works.

IT'S ON MY READING LIST...

I too read it a few months back and I absolutely loved it. If you liked this then try undercover Economist as well.. It is more heavy but still it is good.

I thought that Freakonomics was a letdown after all the hype surrounding it. I found it too unstructured without a central unifying theme. Some of the points that Levitt makes are interesting, but somehow I ended up feeling disappointed once I was through with it.

Hey, remember I told u a few days back that even I was asked to retake GMAT by a school? Well, make that two now. I just concluded a feedback session with another school and guess what? They too want me to retake the damn GMAT! How can they brish off a 720 like that? :( :( :(

What are you doing about it?

oh btw, I am posting under my pseudo name now :)

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

About me

  • JatWarrior
  • "A goal I must attain, a dream that I must follow, because I wont be back again. There is a mark that I must leave, however small it seems to be, a legacy of love for those, who follow after me." - Anonymous
View my profile   Email me

Previous posts

journey of a jat, the warrior is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.