« Home | JatWarrior Vs Apartment Management » | Bschool Research » | Freakonomics » | Museums and Superman » | 720 and asked to retake!!! » | Consultants or not? » | I face pressure. You face pressure. Why did you pr... » | Golf day :) » | W and C feedback » | BSchool Application Feedback » 

Sunday, September 03, 2006 

Agony of a perfectionist and Columbia essays

I believe I am a perfectionist and this is hurting my essays writing process. When I sit down to write, I want every word, every sentence to come out perfect, perfect enough to submit. And as a result, I sometimes end up spending hours with only a few paragraphs of output. I read posts of people writing two-three essays in a day! People spend more time revising than writing the original draft. I seem to do the other way round. Am I weird, or there are others like me?

Because of the reasons described above, I have been making a slow progress on Columbia essays. When I say slow, I mean SLOW. Anyways, now I have drafts of four out of five essays ready and they are not looking bad. Essay I am still stumped on is:

Q: Leading in the global economy requires enabling high performance from a diverse set of employees, colleagues and partners. Tell us about a manager you’ve observed who enabled or inspired others to do their best work and analyze how this manager did it.

When they say 'diverse', what do they mean? Diverse cultures? Diverse roles? Diverse attitudes? What's your take and how are you approaching this essay?

the word diverse is quite diverse here. :) I would say the other keyword in this question is "global", so that kinda hints that you are expected to read diverse as diverse in all respects - culture, language, style of working, role, etc etc etc

BTW, I m nt gng in for this as I had already had something in mind for the original essay 2 on ethics, so I am gonna b submitting that...

Can you do that? Its been a while since they changed to this essay. It might have been okay for ppl who submitted right after Columbia changed it. For us, wouldn't they question it?

Jus think of the manager and u can only speak about his team right!?!? So however much diversity u wanna bring in, it can only be done within the team this manager had managed.

Making slwo progress is okay - but trying to get that perfect essay right on the first time is not gonna work out me thinks. The perfectionist approach was my natural one and having written many essays now, i admit that the essays go through many cycles to become perfect :)

i think diversity in the global economy is the diverse set of beliefs, practices and customs from country to country, sort of like HSBC advertisements, on how they understand your point of view. however, like iday says, i guess you can choose the manager and then write according to that.

about being a perfectionist, though it may slow your essays down, it will definitely show through. it might be frustrating at times but will definitely pay.

yes Diverse means DIVERSE ! in the world itslef.
Hey dont bother on the SLOW. get a stub ready and build around it. The harmony is indeed difficult to achieve but you'll get there.

I spend hours and hours and hours on each essay.. it does get easier, and more importantly faster as you go.. well at least that's what I've found!

Post a Comment

About me

  • JatWarrior
  • "A goal I must attain, a dream that I must follow, because I wont be back again. There is a mark that I must leave, however small it seems to be, a legacy of love for those, who follow after me." - Anonymous
View my profile   Email me

Previous posts

journey of a jat, the warrior is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.